The Pearl Necklace
This is the last painting in the series ‘The Four Ages of Woman’ which shows a woman in four stages of her life, each painted as they are, as truthfully and honestly as I could. Each are wearing an authentic piece of early 17th century lace, shaped in a collar often seen in early 17th century fashion. The lace and the modern women are connected in these paintings. The Pearl Necklace, oil on linen, 50x60cm The Pearl Necklace, oil, 50x60cm. Detail Italian Bobbin lace, around 1620. Used for ‘The Pearl Necklace’ painting I carefully and loosely attached the lace to a simply-made collar. The lace was so delicate I had to be extra careful and after the photo shoot remove the lace and put it away in its storage box, only taking it out once in a while when I was painting. The lace is a bobbin lace, often seen in Dutch and English portraits in the early 17th century and imitates (more expensive) needle lace. It is very fine and ‘spidery’ in character and has a beautiful golden ...

amazing painting... and sad ... i think she's sad, why?
ReplyDeleteThis piece is absolutely stunning and looks so much like a camera portrait. I'm in awe of your ability to render laces and other patterns and textures with such realism. Beautifl work.
ReplyDeleteMaybe its a sad dream Lampros.....
ReplyDeleteThanks Maddyrose! that’s my challenge: render textures realistically....
Beautiful finish Sophie.
ReplyDeleteDank Erik!!
ReplyDeleteThat is just stunning! A masterpiece!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Carrie!
ReplyDeleteWow, Sohie. I am in awe of the way you have handled the lace. The progress in the standard of your work is incredible. Congratulations.
ReplyDeleteReally beautiful!
ReplyDeleteBeautifully painted!! Congratulations!!
ReplyDeleteSophie this is stunningly wonderful work. I had to look twice; I thought it was a photograph.
ReplyDeleteThank you all so much. I really appreciate it. :))
ReplyDelete