Skip to main content

Musings



I've been fairly busy with creating small drawings for my greeting cards, and making small reproductions of my paintings. The initial cause of this was my upcoming Open Studio Days (where cards are always popular) but I have now opened an Etsy online shop where you can buy cards, prints and other goodies (see in the right side bar). Of course you can still get those direct from me as well.

For my Open Studio (5,6 and 12 May) I enjoy the preparations of providing something new, something affordable and something enjoyable for visitors, besides my paintings of course! I am making all sorts of little goodies for lace lovers and art lovers alike. Can't possibly show them all here - it will have to remain a bit of a surprise until the Open Days. Suffice to say it is all lace related. I am really diving into the history and variety of antique lace at the moment. Browsing the internet, reading books etc. Victorian and Edwardian lace is still very much around these days, but the costumes and lace visible in seventeenth century portrait paintings is also a topic of great interest to me.


I have two paintings on the easel at the moment. The larger one you saw in the last blog post and a smaller painting with the same lace veil featuring in it. I have so many paintings waiting to be painted in my head I just cannot find enough hours in the day to get it all onto canvas. I hope you like what does make it out of my hands!

The next month will be submitting-month: lots of Open Exhibitions to submit to and hopefully some of my paintings will get accepted by the judges to be shown in fabulous shows. The Royal Society of Portrait Painters has 2 rounds to get through and 2 paintings managed to get through the first round, so keep your fingers crossed for the final round. It is tough going this year as the Society had a huge amount of submissions because of their new Self Portrait Prize attracting many submissions.

For my Dutch friends I do have one hint of news (more about this at a later date): my little portrait of Queen Beatrix is going to be exhibited in de 'Grote Kerk' in the lovely village of De Rijp in North-Holland in an exhibition named 'Met het Oog op Beatrix' ("Beatrix in the Picture" is my very free translation). Organised by fellow artists (a 'salon des refusés' from the more conceptual tinted Beatrix exhibition at the Palace Het Loo), it is an exhibition with around 20 works of art featuring the queen, who, of course, will abdicate on 30 April. The Exhibition will be a nice farewell. It will open on 28 April and run until 31 August.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog moved to website

Please visit my blog on my website https://www.sophieploeg.com/blog/ to read my latest posts. Thank you!

2015 Exhibitions

Happy 2015!! I love looking ahead so I have been looking at any great exhibitions coming up. Not the ones with my work in it - necessarily - but the big ones at the major public galleries. Lots of newspapers do this but just like everybody else I never agree with their selection! In 2014 there were some real blockbuster exhibitions. I don’t always get to go because of time restraints (I have a young family so sometimes Rembrandt has to make way for Paddington Bear) but I really enjoyed the ‘Wedding Dresses’ exhibition at the V&A last year, as well as the major Veronese exhibition at the National Gallery. Of course the BP Portrait Award 2014 was a big one for me personally. I really wanted to see the Rembrandt exhibition but I simply ran out of time and had to skip it. I am no big exhibition-goer, but I am a wannabe. In no particular order I hope to see at least some of these promising exhibitions in 2015. Which ones would you recommend and have I missed? Sargent. Portrai

Pastel Society

Pleased to announce that my painting ‘Two Cushions’ has been selected to be exhibited in the Pastel Society’s annual exhibition at the Mall Galleries in London. Two Cushions, pastel Look Again Pastel Society Annual Exhibition 2015 24 February - 7 March Mall Galleries The Mall, London SW1 http://www.thepastelsociety.org.uk http://www.mallgalleries.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/look-again (can I hint at an exciting exhibition coming up in...Manchester! Stay tuned...)