Skip to main content

Isaack Luttichuys and Flemish Bobbin Lace

Isaack Luttichuys, Portrait of Young Woman with
Ostrich Feather in her hand, 1656
I just found this lovely painting by Isaack Luttichuys, (1616, London – 1673, Amsterdam), in the collection of the the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. I am off to The Netherlands next week and will be visiting the Rijksmuseum a few times. I hope this painting will be on display. It is by a fairly unknown 'society' painter, Isaak Luttichuys who came to The Netherlands in the early seventeenth century. He was the son of Dutch parents, born in London, but moved to Holland at an early age. Very little is known about his life, training or career.



The hugely detailed manner in which he painted the woman's lace collar is truly beautiful. The Flemish bobbin lace is painted in the not uncommon way of scratching out the white paint with the back of a brush into the wet paint, thereby revealing the darker layers underneath. Rembrandt used a similar manner to paint bobbin lace. The density of the lace made this method quite suitable as painting every thread of lace would be more work than painting the 'gaps' (negative space) in between. As a lace painter, I know how difficult it is to stick to the pattern of the lace and maintain the correct rhythm in scale and pattern. Although there is a slightly lack of plasticity in the lace on the woman's body, the intricacy and detail of the lace is impressive and very beautiful.
A piece of lace from the Metropolitan Museum of Art shows the type of lace used in these collars. A Flemish bobbin lace (made with bobbins and basically a type of weaving, in contrast to needle lace wich stems from embroidery) from the mid 17th century with extensive and dense flower patterns.



17th Century Flemish Bobbin Lace fragment. Metropolitan Museum of Art
In a few days I am flying off the Then Netherlands. I hope to spend lots of time at the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, the Frans Hals Museum and I'll fit in a visit to Belgium where I'll attend the annual Lace Days in the centre of town and at the local Lace Museum.

Flemish Bobbin Lace, 1650-80.
www.laceforstudy.org.uk


The renewed Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. I can't wait to visit. Its been a long time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog moved to website

Please visit my blog on my website https://www.sophieploeg.com/blog/ to read my latest posts. Thank you!

2015 Exhibitions

Happy 2015!! I love looking ahead so I have been looking at any great exhibitions coming up. Not the ones with my work in it - necessarily - but the big ones at the major public galleries. Lots of newspapers do this but just like everybody else I never agree with their selection! In 2014 there were some real blockbuster exhibitions. I don’t always get to go because of time restraints (I have a young family so sometimes Rembrandt has to make way for Paddington Bear) but I really enjoyed the ‘Wedding Dresses’ exhibition at the V&A last year, as well as the major Veronese exhibition at the National Gallery. Of course the BP Portrait Award 2014 was a big one for me personally. I really wanted to see the Rembrandt exhibition but I simply ran out of time and had to skip it. I am no big exhibition-goer, but I am a wannabe. In no particular order I hope to see at least some of these promising exhibitions in 2015. Which ones would you recommend and have I missed? Sargent. Portrai

Pastel Society

Pleased to announce that my painting ‘Two Cushions’ has been selected to be exhibited in the Pastel Society’s annual exhibition at the Mall Galleries in London. Two Cushions, pastel Look Again Pastel Society Annual Exhibition 2015 24 February - 7 March Mall Galleries The Mall, London SW1 http://www.thepastelsociety.org.uk http://www.mallgalleries.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/look-again (can I hint at an exciting exhibition coming up in...Manchester! Stay tuned...)